Update on the art quilt. After my last post and the great encouragement I received from you, I feel I should say that I knew I could do the quilt because it is rather small, 18″ x 36″ and I know I work best with a deadline. I thought I would show you my progress thus far. It doesn’t have quite the ethereal feel I want and I don’t know that I am able to get it but I intend to try. Perhaps the back ground needs to be less varied in value but too late for that. Oh well. Suzannah said it looks great so I am happy even if it doesn’t match the image in my head or my sketch from the previous post!
The birds have stitching done to blend the fabrics. I decided to stitch first and quilt later. That way the images will project rather than receed. At least I hope that is how it turns out.
I worked at Singer retail store in the early 80’s while I was in college. I remember making a bird, some sort of crane I think. I used raw edge applique (like the birds above) and then I created a trupunto effect by stuffing the feathers. The store hung this piece for a while and I took it home when I quit. I wish I knew where that piece was; I bet it is very similar to what I am doing here (although I am still debating on the trupunto).